This sweet fruit loaf is a favourite Irish tradition at Halloween. You can leave out the whiskey in this egg, dairy and nut-free recipe if you wish, but it adds a richness to the overall flavour.
375g packet fruit mix
250mls cold tea
225g plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
125g light brown sugar
1/2 tsp mixed spice
1 over ripe banana
900g loaf tin
- Place the fruit mix in a bowl and pour over the whiskey and cold tea. Allow to soak up the liquid overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C and grease and line a 900g loaf tin.
- Mix together the flour, baking powder, sugar and mixed spice in a mixing bowl.
- Add the mashed banana and a little of the liquid the fruit mix is sitting in and mix it through. You may not need all the liquid as you are looking for a wet dough. Stir through the fruit mix until everything is thoroughly combined.
- Spoon the wet dough into the lined loaf tin and place in the oven, on the middle shelf, and bake for 1 hour.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly before removing from the loaf tin and placing on wire rack.
- Serve in slices spread with a little butter.